Tuesday, May 27, 2014

How Sweet It Is….. Sometimes

One of my happiest childhood memories was my grandmother taking me to the candy counters at big department stores in Memphis, Tennessee—the city where I grew up.

At that time, department stores had very nice candy counters. Their gleaming displays of candy were arranged in a very nice way. My grandmother would periodically take me to these candy counters, and the candy I always gravitated to was fruit slices. These were half circles of jelly-like candy. At that time, they came in four flavors: raspberry, lemon, orange, and lime. My favorite two were the raspberry and lime. They were designed to look like real fruit slices, though, of course, real raspberries don't come in that shape.


I don't know how many years my grandmother took me to these candy counters, but it must have been a good ten years—let’s say from age four to 12. I'm not really sure, but it remains a special memory.

Fast forward to today, decades later. When my birthday was coming around, I began obsessing over those fruit slice candies. I went to every candy store near my house, entering with great anticipation. But none had them. The glazed-eyed clerks had no idea what I was talking about.

Then I remembered a candy counter that sold them at the Farmer's Market in the Fairfax District of Los Angeles. Even though it was miles away from where I'm living now, I decided to fight the traffic. After all, it had been years since I had any of these fruit slice candies.


But driving, there were a million traffic jams along the way, and I kept telling myself to turn around and go back home. Still, I persevered and pressed through until, finally, I made it to the Farmer's Market.

But when I got to the candy counter and saw the outrageous price—something like $19 a pound—I thought about turning around again. Then, I thought, "It’s your birthday. You may as well get some."


So I got an assortment, including one my favorites, the lime. But then when I bit into one, it wasn't lime at all. It was green apple. I was so disappointed. It totally spoiled my food memories.

On top of that, the candies were way too sweet. These days, I generally don't eat a lot of sugar. So it was kind of a sugar shock.

I guess the bottom-line is, our memories of food can be sweet, and sometimes we should just live with those memories.

https://soundcloud.com/alfordla/fruit-slices


2 comments:

  1. I love this story! You should build a lesson around it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Nice story. You are a great writer. Yeah, $19 a pound is way too expensive for candies but you deserve it! It's your birthday. Ha!

    ReplyDelete