Today I was a volunteer at the Taste of the Nation fundraiser in Culver City. It is an annual event where many of LA's top restaurateurs and other vendors pass out samples of food and drink - all of which is donated. Proceeds from ticket sales go to food banks and other services for people having trouble making ends meet.
Some might ask 'Why not just donate the money directly to food pantries?' It is a legitimate question, but the reality is that many people will only help out a good cause if they get something out of it. Attendees in this case get to gorge on a lot of delicious food and drink.
Volunteers such as myself also get to make the rounds stuffing ourselves with some incredible food. Would I still volunteer if I didn't get this privilege? Honestly, probably not. There are very few truly selfless people in this world. But events like Taste of the Nation help us do good even as we help ourselves - to dish after dish. In the end, what's wrong with that? Nothing in my opinion.
No comments:
Post a Comment